Tuesday 25 September 2018

Shades Within Us: Tales of Migrations and Fractured Borders edited by Susan Forest and Lucas K. Law

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Publisher: Laksa Media Groups
Released: 8th of September 2018 

Journey with twenty-one speculative fiction authors through the fractured borders of human migration to examine assumptions and catch a glimpse of the dreams, struggles, and triumphs of those who choose--or are forced--to leave home and familiar places. Who straddle borders within our worlds--and within us.

Migration. A transformation of time, place, and being . . .

We are called drifters, nomads. We are expatriates, evacuees, and pilgrims. We are colonists, aliens, explorers; strangers, visitors--intruders, conquerors--exiles, asylum seekers, and . . . outsiders.

An American father shields his son from Irish discrimination. A Chinese foreign student wrestles to safeguard her family at the expense of her soul. A college graduate is displaced by technology. A Nigerian high school student chooses between revenge and redemption. A bureaucrat parses the mystery of Taiwanese time travellers. A defeated alien struggles to assimilate into human culture. A Czechoslovakian actress confronts the German WWII invasion. A child crosses an invisible border wall. And many more.

Stories that transcend borders, generations, and cultures. Each is a glimpse into our human need in face of change: to hold fast to home, to tradition, to family; and yet to reach out, to strive for a better life.

What I Have to Say

There were some truly amazing stories in this anthology. It was wonderful to see so many different perspectives, so many different kinds of people from stories set in the past, present and future in countries all over the world, the one thing connecting them all being that they're tales of migration, facing the struggles, prejudices and barriers that come hand in hand with moving their lives across the boarders. 

I don't think there were any stories that I particularly disliked, but there were definitely some that stood out more than others. I adored the way that language played a big part in stories like Porque El Girasol se Llama el Girasol by Rich Larson, Inkskinned by Jeremy Szal and Devouring Tongues by S.L Huang. I also really loved Critical Mass by Liz Westbrook- Trenholm and The Travellers by Amanda Sun. 

The only real problem I had with this anthologies is as the subject matter can be so upsetting and dark, I found that reading them back to back was really quite depressing. I wouldn't take issue with the book itself, but I would advise readers to take a step back and read something else for a bit of a break, which as they're short stories is very easy to do! 

I wholeheartedly recommend this book though. There were beautiful, important and heartbreaking stories throughout the anthology and really show different ways of viewing the world.


My thanks go to Laksa Media Groups and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love a good anthology. This definitely sounds like an interesting one but I would not be able to read these back to back as I can imagine it can be quite heart breaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought ahead and switched between this an another one. Athologies are so easy to split up as well! I have no idea why I tried to read the back to back ><

      Delete
  2. The anthology sounds like it has captured the realism of the issues mentioned. Sounds like an engaging and eyeopening read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, definitely going to read this one, will read a book or two inbetween though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely the way to do it! Let me know what you think when you read it. :3

      Delete
  4. I'm not typically a fan of anthologies but this one does sound quite good! I might give it a go. In fact, maybe I'll challenge myself to read some anthologies next year!

    ReplyDelete