Saturday 16 February 2019

Against All Gods by Maz Evans

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 384 
Publisher: Chicken House 
Released: 7th of February 2019 

In the series finale of Maz Evans' bestselling Who Let the Gods Out? series, Elliot faces his darkest period yet. As well as facing up to his fears, he realises that the future of mankind - and the survival of everything he holds dear - is at stake. But can a bunch of misfit gods, a lost constellation and a mortal boy stand up to the daemon hordes?



What I Have to Say 

This series is silly, has a cringe-worthy sense of humour and I love it so, so much. It's fun to see a load of really bad puns and over the top characters all keeping in touch with the essence of Greek Mythology. Using very British humour on Greek characters may see a little weird at first, but they connect with the heart of the myths and make them into characters that children will love to connect to and enjoy. 

With each book of the series, I've learned to love the characters all over again, coming back to them and remembering the joys of their personalities and interactions. It was really great to see all the characters come together for the last book, bringing back characters I've forgotten from the earlier books as well as others that we've met more recently. The final battle was as epic, compelling and written with all the heart and humour that the books in the rest of the series have had. 

I will miss Elliot and his family of gods and constellations. I'm glad to see his story come to a conclusion and for him to finally find peace, but I have to admit, I will miss these guys. I might cringe at Hermes being such a bro or feel that maybe Zeus's womanising is a little over the top (although it is Zeus.... can it be over the top?), but I love them despite that, because the ridiculousness of it  is a part of what makes these books great. 

I can't wait to see what Maz Evans does next! 


My thanks go to Chicken House for providing me with a free copy to review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment