Tuesday 19 February 2019

To Be Perfectly Honest by Jess Vallance

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 304 
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Released: 7th of February 2019 

The second book in a brilliantly funny YA series featuring the trials and embarrassing tribulations of teenager Gracie Dart.

Uncovering a family secret, Gracie decides she's had enough of lies and pledges to be completely honest to everybody she meets.

For fifty days, nothing but 100% brutal honesty at all times. But total honesty doesn't always go down well when you've got

What I Have to Say 

I was really upset to find that I didn't like this book. I loved the first so much, but I think with the concept of being honest, too many people got hurt in Gracie's misadventures for me to feel any sympathy with her. 

In the first book I felt she was a little dumb and took things to extremes but in general she was sweet and easy to like. But with her decision to be honest and specifically to tell the whole truth it meant that she was just really harsh to everyone around her. Because quite often we hide things and don't tell the whole truth to people just to be kind to them. Because if everyone went around being so blunt about everything the whole world would be filled with arguments and hurt feelings. I really feel like Gracie should have come to this realisation earlier. 

I really hope that the next book is better, because I like Gracie's way of seeing the world around her. I like how she viewed this whole honesty thing as a research project. I want to like her again. 

But for this book, I just found that I couldn't. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key books for providing me this free copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment