Saturday 23 February 2019

The Colour of Shadows by Phyllida Shrimpton

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 368 
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Released: 7th of February 2019 

A moving portrayal of a teenager coming to terms with a secret about her mother that her father decided to keep from her... was he right to do so? Saffron must work that out...

Seventeen year old Saffron discovers a secret in the attic - a secret that changes both her past and her future...

Having believed ten years ago that her mother had become ill and subsequently died, Saffron learns that her mother is in fact alive and well. Angry at the years of deceit from her father and step mother, she goes in search of the truth about her mother - and leaves home. 

Homeless and alone, Saffron has to deal with the mental turmoil and anger at her father as she processes the lies she has been told. And then Saffron comes face to face with the dangers of being a homeless teenage girl... 

What I Have to Say 

I really didn't get on with this book, but it gave me a lot to think about. The issues surrounding homelessness were present through so much in this book but there's also themes of privilege and assumption included that I really want to talk about. 

So one of the first problems I found with this book was that neither of the characters were really very sympathetic. Saffron was very angry throughout the book and I understand that. It's obvious how much pain she was going through. But the fact is that an abrasive character like this is really hard to like. Tom was easier to sympathise with, but I hated him so much for just dismissing Saffron's pain as "drama" and leaving her on the street because he assumes that she'll just go home.

I got into the book a bit before the end and there were some really touching moments, especially between Melanie and Saffron.

It was a book that said a lot and I wish I could have liked it more.


My thanks go to Netgalley and Hot Key Books for providing me with this free copy for review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment